DESKTOP SERVICES It is known as Terminal Services in Windows Server 2008 and earlier, is one of the components of Microsoft Windows that allows a user to take control of a remote computer or virtual machine over a network connection. RDS is Microsoft’s implementation of thin client, where Windows software, and the entire desktop of the computer running RDS, are made accessible to a remote client machine that supports Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP)..
Computers can receive Standard Desktop services by meeting these criteria:
- Computer is university property, not personally-owned
- Computer is running a Standard Operating System (Windows 7 & 10, Mac OS X 10.9 – 10.12)
- Support technician administrative access exists or can be created on the computer.
- Support Center can re-image a computer when necessary to resolve an incident or complete a service request.
- Computers in labs may be eligible for support on a per-lab basis if the lab configuration meets all other requirements for service support.